Having had global success plus Oscar glory with his first film ‘Get Out’ Jordan Peele’s highly anticipated second film ‘Us’ comes to cinemas this week. Having already achieved a 100% rotten tomato review, this is the second time Peele has achieved this, having had the same success on Get Out.
Below is everything I could find about what we can expect in the film, plus a few fan theories on what the film will involve.
About the film:
-The film was announced last year in February. Filming began in July and was finished by October.
-The first trailer dropped on Christmas day 2018, there’s nothing like a horror movie to bring some Christmas cheer.
-It was just filmed in California. Mostly in Los Angeles but the main house was located in Pasadena.
-Peele has said that an inspiration for ‘Us’ was ‘The Twilight Zone’ episode ‘Mirror Image’.
-The official movie title was announced on May 8th 2018.
-‘Us’ became a horror film after Peele saw that the public were confused about what genre ‘Get Out’ was. He has even tweeted specifically stating that ‘Us’ is a horror film.
-After he played the leader of the Jabari Tribe in ‘Black Panther’, Winston Duke was nearly not cast by Peele as the main male character, due to him thinking that Duke was too tough for the role. Duke has said that “I loved playing M’Baku, but that’s not who I am. I want to convey the full spectrum of masculinity. I want people to say that this guy helped change the definition of masculinity onscreen 40 years from now. I’m trying to be that person”.
-Elizabeth Moss is of course most known for her role in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’, however what may not be as well known is that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has also been a part of the show, playing the part of Omar.
-The movie run time is 1 hour 56 mins, so that is plenty of time to get scared.
-The film was actually pushed back a week following the the announcement of its South by Southwest premiere.
-‘Us’ is the first single film that is taking over one of Spotify’s TV and Movies hub, which is being sponsored by ‘Us’ distributor Universal Pictures.
-As you will have already seen from the trailer, the soundtrack of the film includes “I Got 5 on it” by Luniz. However, it also will include the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations”, Koffee’s “Toast” as well as the score that was done by Michael Abels who did the music for “Get Out”.
– Peele is an American actor, comedian, producer, director and writer.
– ‘Get Out’ won Peele his first Oscar for original screenplay in 2018. Which is incredible seeing as it was Peele’s first time directing and writing a film.
-Peele’s love of “The Twilight Zone” means he is co-producing and hosting a reboot of the show coming soon.
-When asked if ‘Get Out’ and ‘Us’ were in the same universe, Peele said “Without answering directly if they’re in the same universe, I will say that, yes, I consider this part of the same project”.
– Peele founded his production company Monkey Paw Production in 2012.
Fan Theories on ‘Us’
– The son will be the key to solving everything in Us, as it looks like he is the first to discover the doppelgängers, plus his doppelgänger has his mouth sealed shut. It means he could be being prevented from being able to talk to anyone so is this an indication the sons doppelgänger would help?
– One theory is that the doppelgängers are the heroes of the film and the ‘real’ family are the bad ones.
– One theory proves that ‘Get Out’ and ‘Us’ are linked by highlighting the link between the many rabbits featured in one shot of the trailer and Get Out‘s repeated use of Flanagan & Allen’s 1939 classic ‘Run Rabbit Run’.
Follow us on: