Captain Marvel is set to be released across cinemas in America on Friday. Having had its release date pushed back multiple times, this film has been in the making for a VERY long time. So what can you expect from the 21st Marvel film names as the most highly anticipated film of 2019?
Below is some of the information about the history of Captain Marvel and what we can expect from the film. What I want to know is do you think it will it live up to its hype?
The history behind Captain Marvel:
- There have been several characters called Captain Marvel before, with the first appearing in 1967. However, this film will follow the story of Carol Danvers played by Brie Larson.
- Captain Marvel originally was male
- Carol Danvers has the ability to fly, blast energy from her fingers, is really strong and durable. She is also immune to toxins and poisons. Alongside her powers, she was trained as part of the Air Force. The character is also dangerous without her powers due to this training.
- Carol Danvers was a member of the US Air Force who gains her powers after she is caught in an explosion which causes her to gain the same genetic structure of Kree superhero Mar-Vell also known as Captain Marvel (who she is romantically involved with). Following this, Danvers went on to become known as Ms Marvel and fought with the Avengers.
- After Mar-Vell dies, Danvers took on the name of Captain Marvel.
Facts about the filming of Captain Marvel:
- The Head of Marvel studios did not disclose if Stan Lee would make an appearance in the film, as he had with the other 20 marvel cinematic universe film released over the last decade. However it was revealed that Lee had filmed a batch of cameos for a number of different films before his death in November.
- It will be the first Marvel universe film to be released since Stan Lee’s death. Making it the 21st Marvel film.
- The development of the film started as early as 2013 and was officially announced in October 2014. Location shooting began in January 2018. Filming locations include California, Louisiana and LA.
- Brie Larson was announced as the lead role in 2016 at the San Diego Comic Con.
- Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said “When we found out that Brie Larson might be interested in joining the MCU, we pitched her the idea for the film”
- Fleck one of the directors for the film described Larson as “She’s just so fierce. Everything she does is a hundred percent,”
- Jude Law will be taking on the role of the ruler of the Kree Starforce Commander and talking about his involvement in the MCU he said “to be part of the things that I admire and love is a thrill.”
- At the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con, Fiege announced that the film was to be set in the 1990’s.
- It is directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who co-wrote the script with Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Jac Schaeffer.
- As already mentioned, there were a number of delays to the film. The original release date was announced in 2014 as July 2018, but was pushed back to November 2018 as Marvel wanted to figure out what they were going to do with the storyline according to Feige (Head of Marvel’s Studio). It was then pushed back to March 2019 as they wanted to figure out how they were going to fit it amongst the other Marvel films.
- The first trailer was shown on Good Morning America in September 2018
- The training process that Brie went through was so extreme that afterwards she was able to push a 5,000 lbs car. Part of her training involved learning judo, wrestling and boxing. Larson shared some of her training on social media.
- It is the first female led Marvel film
- The film will find Captain Marvel already in possession of her powers.
- According to IMDB, the film will run for 2 hours 4 minutes (124 minutes)
- Larson received criticism for her comments about the film being made to be inclusive of women and some even said that she was “anti-men”. From these comments Larson explained that “All that I know is, what I’m looking for is to bring more seats up to the table. Nobody is getting their chair taken away” “There’s not less seats at the table. Just more seats at the table.”
- Samuel L Jackson’s character ‘Fury’ will feature in the film. Seeing as the film is set in the 90’s, audiences will see a different side to his character. It is reported we will even get to see the story behind Fury losing his eye.
- The trailer shows one of the most dramatic points in the film where Danvers is emulating her full power. When filming this, Larson described it to be “so awkward”. She said “That shot where my hair’s all in flames – it looks really cool but in the moment you’re like, ‘oh God, this just feels so embarrassing!’
- Other characters set to appear in the Captain Marvel film is: Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg), as well as Ronan (Lee Pace) and Korath (Djimon Hounsou) from 2014’s Guardian of the Galaxy.
- Members of its creative team include “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” cinematographer Ben Davis and “Gravity” production designer Andy Nicholson.
So that is all you need to know about the new Captain Marvel film before it’s release. Let us know what you think of the film in the comments below!